Understanding, Modeling and Managing Longevity Risk: Key Issues and Main Challenges
AbstractThis article investigates the latest developments in longevity risk modelling, and explores the key risk management challenges for both the financial and insurance industries. The article discusses key definitions that are crucial for the enhancement of the way longevity risk is understood; providing a global view of the practical issues for longevity-linked insurance and pension products that have evolved concurrently with the steady increase in life expectancy since 1960s. In addition, the article frames the recent and forthcoming developments that are expected to action industry-wide changes as more effective regulation, designed to better assess and efficiently manage inherited risks, is adopted. Simultaneously, the evolution of longevity is intensifying the need for capital markets to be used to manage and transfer the risk through what are known as Insurance-Linked Securities (ILS). Thus, the article will examine the emerging scenarios, and will finally highlight some important potential developments for longevity risk management from a financial perspective with reference to the most relevant modelling and pricing practices in the banking industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00417800.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Scandinavian Actuarial Journal, 2012, 2012, 3, 203-231
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00417800
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Longevity Risk ; securitization ; risk transfer ; incomplete market ; life insurance ; stochastic mortality ; pensions ; long term interest rate ; regulation ; population dynamics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harry Bensusan & Nicole El Karoui & Stéphane Loisel & Yahia Salhi, 2012. "Partial Splitting of Longevity and Financial Risks: The Longevity Nominal Choosing Swaptions," Working Papers hal-00768526, HAL.
- Helena Aro & Teemu Pennanen, 2013. "Liability-driven investment in longevity risk management," Papers 1307.8261, arXiv.org.
- Bohm, Thomas & Waldvogel, Felix, 2012. "Etablierung eines außerbörslichen Kapitalmarktes für das Langlebigkeitsrisiko," Bayreuth Working Papers on Finance, Accounting and Taxation (FAcT-Papers) 2012-02, University of Bayreuth, Chair of Finance and Banking.
- Yahia Salhi & Stéphane Loisel, 2012. "Basis risk modelling: a co-integration based approach," Working Papers hal-00746859, HAL.
- D’Amato, Valeria & Haberman, Steven & Piscopo, Gabriella & Russolillo, Maria, 2012. "Modelling dependent data for longevity projections," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 694-701.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.