Wage share variations in France and Germany since 1970: what does really matter?
AbstractThis paper refers to a few recent studies, which have focused on methodological issues related to the estimation of the wage share variations, to compare the evolutions in France and former West Germany since 1970. It is shown that the usual method overestimates the long run drop of wage share in both countries but that the magnitude and thus the contribution of different biases are quite different in France and Germany. However no bias can explain the sharp drop of wage share in Germany since 2001, which has to be analysed within the framework of the euro area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00140529.
Date of creation: 22 Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, 4th Annual ESPAnet Conference, « Transformation of the Welfare State: Political Regulation and Social Inequality », 2006, Bremen, Germany
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00140529
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Income distribution; Wage share; International comparison;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Hammour, Mohamad L., 1998.
"Jobless growth: appropriability, factor substitution, and unemployment,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 51-94, June.
- Caballero, R.J. & Hammour, M.L., 1997. "Jobless Growth: Appropriability, Factor-Substitution, and Unemployment," Working papers 97-18, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1997. "Jobless Growth: Appropriability, Factor Substitution, and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 6221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam Posen & Daniel Popov Gould, 2006.
"Has EMU had any Impact on the Degree of Wage Restraint?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1783, CESifo Group Munich.
- Adam S. Posen & Daniel Popov Gould, 2006. "Has EMU Had Any Impact on the Degree of Wage Restraint?," Working Paper Series WP06-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach, 2006.
"Bargained Wages in Decentralized Wage-Setting Regimes,"
Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim
276/2005, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach, 2006. "Bargained Wages in Decentralized Wage-Setting Regimes," IAW Discussion Papers 26, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Sebastian Dullien & Ulrich Fritsche, 2007.
"Does the Dispersion of Unit Labor Cost Dynamics in the EMU Imply Long-Run Divergence?: Results from a Comparison with the United States of America and Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
674, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sebastian Dullien & Ulrich Fritsche, 2007. "Does the Dispersion of Unit Labor Cost Dynamics in the EMU Imply Long-run Divergence? Results from a Comparison with the United States of America and Germany," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200702, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects Of Regulation And Deregulation In Goods And Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907, August.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Oliver J. Blanchard, 1997. "The Medium Run," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 89-158.
- Alain de Serres & Stefano Scarpetta & Christine de la Maisonneuve, 2002. "Sectoral Shifts in Europe and the United States: How They Affect Aggregate Labour Shares and the Properties of Wage Equations," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 326, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.