Optimal annuitization, uncertain survival probabilities, and maxmin preferences
AbstractWe consider a life-cycle model with bequest motives, and assume that the individual does not know his/her survival probability and has maxmin utility preferences; we show that it is optimal not to annuitize but to purchase pure life insurance policies instead.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number hal-00670320.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Economics Letters, 2012, 115, 2, 296-299
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00670320
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Demand for annuities; Uncertain survival probabilities; Uncertainty aversion; Maxmin;
Other versions of this item:
- d’Albis, Hippolyte & Thibault, Emmanuel, 2012. "Optimal annuitization, uncertain survival probabilities, and maxmin preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 296-299.
- Thibault, Emmanuel & D'Albis, Hippolyte, 2012. "Optimal annuitization, uncertain survival probabilities, and maxmin preferences," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9807, Paris Dauphine University.
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2012-02-27 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-UPT-2012-02-27 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Davidoff & Jeffrey R. Brown & Peter A. Diamond, 2003.
"Annuities and Individual Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
9714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1992.
"How Strong are Bequest Motives? Evidence Based on Estimates of the Demand for Life Insurance and Annuities,"
NBER Working Papers
2942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1991. "How Strong Are Bequest Motives? Evidence Based on Estimates of the Demand for Life Insurance and Annuities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 899-927, October.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Visite guidée au coeur des travaux du Meilleur jeune économiste 2012 (1/2)
by Matthieu Solignac in Regards croisés sur l'économie on 2012-05-28 19:26:09
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Thibault, Emmanuel, 2012.
"Ambiguous Life Expectancy and the Demand for Annuities,"
TSE Working Papers
12-323, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Emmanuel Thibault, 2012. "Ambiguous Life Expectancy and the Demand for Annuities," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12050, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Thibault, Emmanuel, 2012. "Ambiguous Life Expectancy and the Demand for Annuities," IDEI Working Papers 731, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuel Thibault, 2012. "Ambiguous Life Expectancy and the Demand for Annuities," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00721281, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00721281 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.