Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Layoff Distinction
AbstractThe question of whether or not there exists a meaningful economic distinction between quits and layoffs has attracted considerable attention. This paper utilizes a recent test proposed by J. S. Cramer and G. Ridder (1991) to test formally whether quits and layoffs may legitimately be aggregated into a single undifferentiated job-mover category. The paper also estimates wage equations for job stayers, quits, and layoffs, corrected for the endogeneity of job mobility. The major results are that quits and lay-off cannot legitimately be pooled and correction for sample selection would appear to be important.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tasmania - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 1991-09.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF TASMANIA, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, HOBART TASMANIA 7001 AUSTRALIA.
Phone: +61 3 6226 7672
Fax: +61 3 6226 7587
Web page: http://www.utas.edu.au/economics-finance/
More information through EDIRC
capital ; econometrics ; employment ; labour market ; labour force;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael P. Kidd, 1994. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 709-33, August.
- Kidd, M.P., 1993. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction," Papers 249, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cottini, Elena & Kato, Takao & Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2011.
"Adverse workplace conditions, high-involvement work practices and labor turnover: Evidence from Danish linked employer–employee data,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 872-880.
- Cottini, Elena & Kato, Takao & Westergård-Nielsen, Niels C., 2009. "Adverse Workplace Conditions, High-Involvement Work Practices and Labor Turnover: Evidence from Danish Linked Employer-Employee Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Henneberger, Fred & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2002. "Beweggründe und Determinanten zwischenbetrieblicher Mobilität: Die Schweiz in einer internationalen Perspektive (Motives and determinants of job-to-job mobility : Switzerland in an international per," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 35(2), pages 205-231.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2008.
"Determinants Of Turnover Intentions Among Chinese Off Farm Migrants,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
03/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2009. "Determinants of turnover intentions among Chinese off farm migrants," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 189-209, August.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009.
"On-the-job Search in Italian Labour Markets: An Empirical Analysis,"
15476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michela Ponzo, 2012. "On-the-job Search in Italian Labor Markets: An Empirical Analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 213-232, July.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2010. "On-the-job search in Italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 25485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009. "On-the-job search in italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 24200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolter Hassink & Lourens Broersma, 2003. "Quits, layoffs, and job destruction," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1911-1914.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:35:i:2:p:205-231 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sousa-Poza, Alfonso & Sousa-Poza, Andres A., 2007. "The effect of job satisfaction on labor turnover by gender: An analysis for Switzerland," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 895-913, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.