Why It Pays to File for Bankruptcy: A Critical Look at Incentives Under U.S. Bankruptcy Laws and A Proposal for Change
AbstractThis article rst examines the economic justication for having a personal bankruptcy procedure at all. I argue that it is economically worthwhile to have a bankruptcy pro- cedure, but that costs rise more quickly than benets as the exemption level increases.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory in its series Papers with number 98-02.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS CENTER FOR RESEARCH ON ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL THEORY, ANN ARBOR MICHIGAN U.S.A.
BANKRUPTCY ; DECISION MAKING;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lin, Emily Y. & White, Michelle J., 2001. "Bankruptcy and the Market for Mortgage and Home Improvement Loans," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 138-162, July.
- Henry, Ruby, 2013. "Business, Bankruptcy, and Beliefs: The Financial Demise of NBA Stars," IZA Discussion Papers 7238, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yannis Georgellis & Howard J. Wall, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship and the policy environment,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 95-112.
- Krueger, Dirk & Perri, Fabrizio, 2011.
"Public versus private risk sharing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 920-956, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.