Unveiling the Income-Environment Relationship: An Exploration into the Determinants of Environmental Quality
AbstractThis paper decomposes the reduced form income-environment relationship into its structural sources. It identifies a level effect, a composition effect, and an abatement effect. This decomposition is implemented using global data on suspended particulate matter in the air. The level and composition effects are found to conform to their a priori expected linear and quadratic forms, respectively. The abatement effect is found to be generally downward sloping, though not exactly conforming to the expected inverted-J shape.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute for International Development in its series Papers with number 701.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CAER Project, Harvard Institute for International Development, 14 Story Street, Cambridge MA 02138O
Web page: http://www.hiid.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bagliani Marco & Bravo Giangiacomo & Dalmazzone Silvana, 2006. "A Consumption-based Approach to Environmental Kuznets Curves Using the Ecological Footprint Indicatory," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 200601, University of Turin.
- Shahid ALI & Maryam BIBI & Fazli RABBI, 2014. "A New Economic Dimension to the Environmental Kuznets Curve: Estimation of Environmental Efficiency in Case of Pakistan," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 4(1), pages 68-79, January.
- Chuku, Agbai, 2011. "Economic development and environmental quality in Nigeria: is there an environmental Kuznets curve?," MPRA Paper 30195, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dutta, Dilip & Ghosh, Paritosh Chandra, 2003. "Re-examining Economic Growth-Environment Relationship: Evidence from High-, Medium- And Low-Income Countries," Working Papers 3, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2005. "Economic growth and the environment," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 23, pages 1219-1271 Elsevier.
- Marzio Galeotti, 2003. "Economic Development and Environmental Protection," Working Papers 2003.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Marzio Galeotti, 2007. "Economic Growth And The Quality Of The Environment: Taking Stock," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 427-454, November.
- Giuseppe Di Vita, 2007.
"Legal Families and Environmental Protection: Is there a Causal Relationship?,"
2007.78, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Di Vita, Giuseppe, 2009. "Legal families and environmental protection: Is there a causal relationship?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 694-707, September.
- Auci, Sabrina & Trovato, Giovanni, 2011. "The environmental Kuznets curve within European countries and sectors: greenhouse emission, production function and technology," MPRA Paper 53442, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dutta, Dilip & Ghosh, Paritosh Chandra, 2003. "A Structural Analysis of Economic Growth-Environment Relationship under Economic Openness," Working Papers 4, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Di Vita, Giuseppe, 2008. "Differences in pollution levels among civil law countries: A possible interpretation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3774-3786, October.
- Bagliani, Marco & Bravo, Giangiacomo & Dalmazzone, Silvana, 2008. "A consumption-based approach to environmental Kuznets curves using the ecological footprint indicator," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 650-661, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.