Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction
AbstractThe question of whether or not there exists a meaningful economic distinction between quits and layoffs has attracted considerable attention. This paper utilizes a recent test proposed by J. S. Cramer and G. Ridder (1991) to test formally whether quits and layoffs may legitimately be aggregated into a single undifferentiated job-mover category. The paper also estimates wage equations for job stayers, quits, and layoffs, corrected for the endogeneity of job mobility. The major results are that quits and lay-off cannot legitimately be pooled and correction for sample selection would appear to be important.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 249.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, RESEARCH SCHOOL of PACIFIC STUDIES, RESEARCH SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, G.P.O. 4, CANBERRA ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA..O. BOX 4 CANBERRA 2601 AUSTRALIA.
Web page: http://economics.anu.edu.au/economics.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Michael P. Kidd, 1994. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Lay-Off Distinction," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 709-33, August.
- Kidd, M.P., 1991. "Some Canadian Evidence on the Quit/Layoff Distinction," Papers 1991-09, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sousa-Poza, Alfonso & Sousa-Poza, Andres A., 2007. "The effect of job satisfaction on labor turnover by gender: An analysis for Switzerland," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 895-913, December.
- Henneberger, Fred & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2002. "Beweggründe und Determinanten zwischenbetrieblicher Mobilität: Die Schweiz in einer internationalen Perspektive (Motives and determinants of job-to-job mobility : Switzerland in an international per," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 35(2), pages 205-231.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2009.
"Determinants of turnover intentions among Chinese off farm migrants,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 189-209, August.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2008. "Determinants Of Turnover Intentions Among Chinese Off Farm Migrants," Monash Economics Working Papers 03/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Wolter Hassink & Lourens Broersma, 2003. "Quits, layoffs, and job destruction," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1911-1914.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:35:i:2:p:205-231 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cottini, Elena & Kato, Takao & Westergård-Nielsen, Niels C., 2009.
"Adverse Workplace Conditions, High-Involvement Work Practices and Labor Turnover: Evidence from Danish Linked Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cottini, Elena & Kato, Takao & Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2011. "Adverse workplace conditions, high-involvement work practices and labor turnover: Evidence from Danish linked employer–employee data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 872-880.
- Michela Ponzo, 2012.
"On-the-job Search in Italian Labor Markets: An Empirical Analysis,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 213-232, July.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009. "On-the-job Search in Italian Labour Markets: An Empirical Analysis," MPRA Paper 15476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2010. "On-the-job search in Italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 25485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009. "On-the-job search in italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 24200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.