Foreign aid to agriculture: Review of facts and analysis
AbstractThis paper seeks to provide a consistent and comparable set of data on the trends in the provision of aid to agriculture over time within the framework of changes in the pattern of sectoral distribution of total development aid. Furthermore, it examines the factors, relating both to the agriculture sector itself and to the priorities and allocation processes of the total aid, which may account for the decline in aid to agriculture over the past two decades or more. It analyzes how in recent years the agricultural sector, as conventionally defined, and investments in the sector are increasingly incorporated in the new and wider concepts of food security and rural development as well as investments in them. In the end, the paper evaluates in the foregoing context the various commitments of the quantitative targets of aid made by the donors in the period following the post-2007 food crisis for agricultural development and food security.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 01053.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
OECD/DAC classification; CRS; bilateral; multilateral; total aid; Irrigation; Poverty; aid priorities; food security; Rural development; share of agriculture; share in GDP;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-03-19 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2011-03-19 (Development)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Herdt, Robert W., 2012. "People, institutions, and technology: A personal view of the role of foundations in international agricultural research and development 1960–2010," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 179-190.
- Shareen Hertel & Corinne Tagliarina, 2012. "Regional Party Politics and the Right to Food in India," Economic Rights Working Papers 20, University of Connecticut, Human Rights Institute.
- Huang, Jikun, 2013. "Financing sustainable agriculture under climate change with a specific focus on foreign aid," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Chimhowu, Admos, 2013. "Aid for agriculture and rural development: A changing landscape with new players and challenges," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.