Announcement Effects and Seasonality in the Intra-day Foreign Exchange Market
AbstractThis paper examines two aspects of spot FX volatility. Using intra-daily quotation data on the Deutsche Mark/Dollar we simultaneously estimate the deterministic intra-daily seasonal pattern inherent in volatility and the effects of US macroeconomic announcements. The empirical specification and estimation technique is based on the Stochastic Volatility methodology contained in Harvey, Ruiz and Shephard (1994). Results conform with previous work, in that ¶news¶ effects are strong and persistent, being felt for over one hour after the initial release time. Inclusion of an explicit seasonal is shown to be essential for the accurate estimation of other volatility components. Further estimations allow us to examine which particular pieces of US data move the markets. These result show that the most important statistics are those associated with the Employment and Mercantile Trade reports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp238.
Date of creation: Mar 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Veredas & Juan M. Rodríguez-Poo & Antoni Espasa, 2001.
"On The (Intradaily) Seasonality And Dynamics Of A Financial Point Process: A Semiparametric Approach,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws013321, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- VEREDAS, David & RODRIGUEZ-POO, Juan & ESPASA, Antoni, 2002. "On the (intradaily) seasonality and dynamics of a financial point process: a semiparametric approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2002023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Veredas, David & Rodríguez Poo, Juan M. & Espasa, Antoni, . "On the (intradaily) seasonality and dynamics of a financial point process: a semiparametric approach.," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/167, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- David Veredas & Juan Rodriguez-Poo & Antoni Espasa, 2001. "On the (Intradaily) Seasonality and Dynamics of a Financial Point Process : A Semiparametric Approach," Working Papers 2001-19, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Michael Melvin & Xixi Yin, .
"Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency,"
96/1, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Melvin, Michael & Yin, Xixi, 2000. "Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 644-61, July.
- Neil, Beattie & Fillion, Jean-François, 1999. "An Intraday Analysis of the Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Intervention," Working Papers 99-4, Bank of Canada.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Vega, Clara, 2002.
"Micro Effects of Macro Announcements: Real-Time Price Discovery in Foreign Exchange,"
02-16, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2003. "Micro Effects of Macro Announcements: Real-Time Price Discovery in Foreign Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 38-62, March.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Vega, Clara, 2002. "Micro Effects of Macro Announcements: Real-Time Price Discovery in Foreign Exchange," Working Papers 02-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2002. "Micro Effects of Macro Announcements: Real-Time Price Discovery in Foreign Exchange," NBER Working Papers 8959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2002. "Micro Effects of Macro Announcements: Real-Time Price Discovery in Foreign Exchange?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-23, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- David McMillan & Alan Speight, 2005. "Long-memory and heterogeneous components in high frequency Pacific-Basin exchange rate volatility," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 199-226, September.
- Han, Young Wook, 2008. "Intraday effects of macroeconomic shocks on the US Dollar-Euro exchange rates," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 585-600, December.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Henry, Marc, 2003.
"Higher-order kernel semiparametric M-estimation of long memory,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 1-27, May.
- Marc Henry & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Higher-Order Kernel Semiparametric M-Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/436, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Jon Danielsson & Richard Payne, 1999.
"Real Trading Patterns and Prices in Spot Foreign Exchange Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp320, Financial Markets Group.
- Danielsson, J. & Payne, R., 2002. "Real trading patterns and prices in spot foreign exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 203-222, April.
- Martin D. D. Evans, 2001.
"FX Trading and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
8116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1996. "DM-Dollar Volatility: Intraday Activity Patterns, Macroeconomic Announcements, and Longer Run Dependencies," NBER Working Papers 5783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin D. D. Evans(Georgetown University and NBER), 2005. "What are the Origins of Foreign Exchange Movements?," Working Papers gueconwpa~05-05-06, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Morana, Claudio & Beltratti, Andrea, 2000. "Central bank interventions and exchange rates: an analysis with high frequency data," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 349-362, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.