Social accounting matrices and applied general equilibrium models
AbstractTo illustrate the use of social accounting matrices (SAMs) in applied general equilibrium (GE) modeling, we use an aggregated SAM for the Spanish economy to calibrate a simple applied GE model. The idea is to construct artificial people - households, government, and a foreign sector - who make the same transactions in the equilibrium of the model economy as do their counterparts in the data. This calibration procedure can be augmented, or partially substituted for, by statistical estimation of key parameters. We show the usefulness of such a model by presenting the results of a comparative exercise that mimics the policy changes that took place in Spain during its 1986 integration into the European Community. Sub-sequent data shows the model results to be remarkably accurate, especially if we account for other major shocks affected the Spanish economy in 1986.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis in its series Working Papers with number 563.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Applied economics and public policy (Vol. 63, 1998, pp. 59-87)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1983.
"Replacing the U.S. Income Tax with a Progressive Consumption Tax: A Sequenced General Equilibrium Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
0892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1983. "Replacing the U.S. income tax with a progressive consumption tax : A sequenced general equilibrium approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-23, February.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1994. "Distinguished Fellow: Herbert Scarf's Contributions to Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 161-181, Fall.
- David Cox & Richard Harris, 1983.
"Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada,"
523, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Cox, David & Harris, Richard, 1985. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 115-45, February.
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1972.
"A General Equilibrium Calculation of the Effects of Differential Taxation of Income from Capital in the U.S,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
328, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1972. "A general equilibrium calculation of the effects of differential taxation of income from capital in the U.S," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 281-321, November.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Clemente Polo & Ferran Sancho, 1994.
"An evaluation of the performance of an applied general equilibrium model of the Spanish economy,"
480, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1995. "An Evaluation of the Performance of an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Spanish Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 115-41, June.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Noyola, Pedro Javier & Manresa, Antonio & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1988. "A general equilibrium analysis of the 1986 tax reform in Spain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 334-342, March.
- T. J. Kehoe & J. Serra-Puche, 1983.
"A General Equilibrium Appraisal of Energy Policy in Mexico,"
321, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Serra-Puche, Jaime, 1991. "A General Equilibrium Appraisal of Energy Policy in Mexico," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 71-93.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1967. "On the Computation of Equilibrium Prices," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 232, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1994. "A primer on static applied general equilibrium models," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 2-16.
- Peichl, Andreas, 2008.
"The benefits of linking CGE and Microsimulation Models - Evidence from a Flat Tax analysis,"
FiFo Discussion Papers - Finanzwissenschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge
08-6, University of Cologne, FiFo Institute for Public Economics.
- Peichl, Andreas, 2008. "The Benefits of Linking CGE and Microsimulation Models: Evidence from a Flat Tax Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 3715, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sang-Wook (Stanley) Cho & Julian P. Diaz, 2008.
"Welfare Impact of Trade Liberalization,"
2008-20, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Thierry Bréchet, 1999. "Working Paper 05-99 - SPOT : un modèle d'équilibre général appliqué de l’économie belge," Working Papers 9905, Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium.
- Peichl, Andreas, 2005. "Die Evaluation von Steuerreformen durch Simulationsmodelle," FiFo Discussion Papers - Finanzwissenschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 05-1, University of Cologne, FiFo Institute for Public Economics.
- (Stanley) Cho, Sang-Wook & P. Díaz, Julián, 2008.
"Trade Liberalization in Latin America and Eastern Europe: the Cases of Ecuador and Slovenia,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 23, pages 1002-1045.
- Sang-Wook Stanley Cho & Julian P. Diaz, 2007. "Trade Liberalization in Latin America and Eastern Europe: The Cases of Ecuador and Slovenia," Discussion Papers 2007-25, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Francisco Sáez & Fernando Alvarez & Jesús Morales & Giovanni Guedez, 2011. "Expectations, Inter-Sectorial Relationships and the Business Cycle," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(63), pages 97-147, July - Se.
- Peichl, Andreas, 2009. "Benefits and problems of linking micro and macro models - evidence from a flat tax analysis," ISER Working Paper Series 2009-02, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Adelar Fochezatto & Rosana Curzel, 2001. "Método de Obtenção da Matriz de Contabilidade Social Regional: Rio Grande do Sul, 1995," Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 083, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Cardenete Flores, M.A & Llop Llop, M., 2005. "Modelos multisectoriales de equilibrio general aplicado en España: Una revisión/Multisectorial Applied General Equilibrium Models in Spain: a Review," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 23, pages 385-404, Agosto.
- Rodrigues, Renato & Linares, Pedro & Gómez-Plana, Antonio G., 2011. "A CGE Assessment of the Impacts on Electricity Production and CO2 Emissions of a Residential Demand Response Program in Spain/Impacto sobre la producción eléctrica y emisiones de CO2 de un programa ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 665 (36 pag, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.