Specifying vector autoregressions for macroeconomic forecasting
AbstractThis paper describes a Bayesian specification procedure used to generate a vector autoregressive model for forecasting macroeconomic variables. The specification search is over parameters of a prior. This quasi-Bayesian approach is viewed as a flexible tool for constructing a filter which optimally extracts information about the future from a set of macroeconomic data. The procedure is applied to a set of data and a consistent improvement in forecasting performance is documented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis in its series Staff Report with number 92.
Date of creation: 1984
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chow, Gregory C & Lin, An-loh, 1971.
"Best Linear Unbiased Interpolation, Distribution, and Extrapolation of Time Series by Related Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 372-75, November.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pillai N., Vijayamohanan, 2008. "In Quest of Truth: The War of Methods in Economics," MPRA Paper 8866, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karine Bouthevillain, 1993. "La prévision macro-économique : précision relative et consensus," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 108(2), pages 97-126.
- Pentti Pikkarainen & Matti Virén, 1989. "Granger causality between money, output, prices and interest rates: Some cross-country evidence from the period 1875–1984," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 125(1), pages 74-82, March.
- Ford, Stephen A., 1986. "A Beginner'S Guide To Vector Autoregression," Staff Papers 13527, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Ford, Stephen A., 1986. "An Application Of Bayesian Vector Autoregression To The U.S. Turkey Market," Staff Papers 13982, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- David Mortimer Krainz, 2011. "An Evaluation of the Forecasting Performance of Three Econometric Models for the Eurozone and the USA," WIFO Working Papers 399, WIFO.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1985. "Monetary vs. Fiscal Policy Effects: A Review of the Debate," NBER Working Papers 1556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco F. R. Ramos, 1996. "VAR Priors: Success or lack of a decent macroeconomic theory?," Econometrics 9601002, EconWPA.
- William M. Lupoletti & Roy H. Webb, 1984. "Defining and improving the accuracy of macroeconomic forecasts : contributions from a VAR model," Working Paper 84-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.