Nonbanks and risk in retail payments
AbstractThis paper documents the importance of nonbanks in retail payments in the United States and in 15 European countries and analyzes the implications of the importance and multiple roles played by nonbanks on retail payment risks. This paper also reviews the main regulatory safeguards in place, and concludes that there may be a need to reconsider some of them in view of the growing role of nonbanks and of the global reach of risks in the electronic era.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in its series Payments System Research Working Paper with number PSR WP 07-02.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:jan5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kenneth Spong, 2000.
"Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994. "Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria.
- Richard J. Sullivan, 2007. "Risk management and nonbank participation in the U.S. retail payments system," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 5-40.
- Kim McPhail, 2003. "Managing Operational Risk in Payment, Clearing, and Settlement Systems," Working Papers 03-2, Bank of Canada.
- Rosati, Simonetta & Secola, Stefania, 2006. "Explaining cross-border large-value payment flows: Evidence from TARGET and EURO1 data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1753-1782, June.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Central banking and bank supervision in the United States," Speech 250, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.