Bank time deposit rates and market discipline in Poland: the impact of state ownership and deposit insurance reform
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of ownership structure and changes in the deposit insurance system on the market for bank time deposits in Poland. In an environment of less restrictive bank supervision and a deposit insurance policy that favored state banks, we find depositors exacted a price for risk taking. After a new law increasing coverage for private banks went into effect, however, bank specific variables became less important in explaining differences in deposit interest rates. We report that the three fully guaranteed state banks pay significantly lower rates that private banks. However, other state-owned banks, with the same de jure guarantee as private banks, pay significantly lower rates than private banks, so it appears that depositors treat these state-owned banks as if they have a larger de facto guarantee.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its series Working Paper Series with number WP-98-13.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas Mondschean & Timothy Opiela, 1999. "Bank Time Deposit Rates and Market Discipline in Poland: The Impact of State Ownership and Deposit Insurance Reform," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 179-196, May.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & C. Fred Bergsten & Michael L. Mussa, 1994. "Exchange Rate Policy," NBER Chapters, in: American Economic Policy in the 1980s, pages 293-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Gerald A. Hanweck, 1986.
"Bank insolvency risk and the market for large certificates of deposit,"
Working Papers in Banking, Finance and Microeconomics
86-1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hannan, Timothy H & Hanweck, Gerald A, 1988. "Bank Insolvency Risk and the Market for Large Certificates of Deposit," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 203-11, May.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1998. "Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 273-305, August.
- Kane, Edward J. & DEC, 1994.
"Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1244, The World Bank.
- Kane, Edward J., 1995. "Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 193-216, July.
- Piero Ugolini, 1996. "National Bank of Poland: The Road to Indirect Instruments," IMF Occasional Papers 144, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas S. Mondschean & Timothy P. Opiela, 1997. "Banking reform in a transition economy: the case of Poland," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 16-32.
- Ellis, David M. & Flannery, Mark J., 1992. "Does the debt market assess large banks, risk? : Time series evidence from money center CDs," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 481-502, December.
- Herbert Baer & Elijah Brewer, 1986. "The effect of bank risk on the price and availability of uninsured deposits," Proceedings 102, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:1986:p:88-103 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charalambos Christofides & Paul Mylonas & Inci Ã–tker & Liam P. Ebrill & Gerd Schwartz & Ajai Chopra, 1994. "Poland: The Path to a Market Economy," IMF Occasional Papers 113, International Monetary Fund.
- Disli, Mustafa & Schoors , Koen & Meir, Jos, 2013.
"Political connections and depositor discipline,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
6/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- M. Disli & K. Schoors & J. Meir, 2012. "Political connections and depositor discipline," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/781, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Masami Imai, 2006. "Market Discipline and Deposit Insurance Reform in Japan," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2006-007, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2012.
"Market Discipline during Crisis: Evidence from Bank Depositors in Transition Countries,"
43693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2013. "Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5436-5451.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski , Oskar & Kozlowski , Lukasz, 2013. "Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 21/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2004. "Can the unsophisticated market provide discipline?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3364, The World Bank.
- Cubillas, Elena & Fonseca, Ana Rosa & González, Francisco, 2012. "Banking crises and market discipline: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2285-2298.
- Emmanuelle Nys & Amine Tarazi & Irwan Trinugroho, 2013. "Political Connections, Bank Deposits, and Formal Deposit Insurance: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Working Papers hal-00916513, HAL.
- Chernykh, Lucy & Rebel, Cole, 2009.
"Does Deposit Insurance Improve Financial Intermediation? Evidence from the Russian Experiment,"
12987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chernykh, Lucy & Cole, Rebel A., 2011. "Does deposit insurance improve financial intermediation? Evidence from the Russian experiment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 388-402, February.
- Opiela, Timothy P., 2004. "Was there an implicit full guarantee at financial institutions in Thailand? Evidence of risk pricing by depositors," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-541, September.
- Irwan Trinugroho & Agusman Agusman & Amine Tarazi, 2012. "Why Have Bank Interest Margins Been so High in Indonesia Since the 1997/1998 Financial Crisis?," Working Papers hal-00916531, HAL.
- Imai, Masami, 2006. "Market discipline and deposit insurance reform in Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3433-3452, December.
- Hulya Bayir, 2001. "Measuring the Impact of Full Coverage Deposit Insurance Policy in a Probit Model : A Study of the Privately Owned Commercial Banks in Turkey," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 1(1), pages 1-23.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.