A primer on farm mortgage debt relief programs during the 1930s
AbstractThis paper describes New Deal farm mortgage debt relief programs, implemented through the Federal Land Banks and the Land Bank Commissioner. Along with the Home Owners' Loan Corporation, the analogous program for nonfarm residential mortgage borrowers, these were the first large-scale mortgage debt relief programs in US history.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 2013-33.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-06-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2013-06-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rucker, Randal R & Alston, Lee J, 1987. "Farm Failures and Government Intervention: A Case Study of the 1930' s," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 724-30, September.
- Raymond J. Saulnier & Harold G. Halcrow & Neil H. Jacoby, 1958. "Federal Lending and Loan Insurance," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number saul58-1.
- Raymond J. Saulnier & Harold G. Halcrow & Neil H. Jacoby, 1958. "Federal Lending and Loan Insurance Programs for Housing," NBER Chapters, in: Federal Lending and Loan Insurance, pages 286-362 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Price V. Fishback & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Shawn Kantor & Jaret Treber, 2011.
"The Influence of the Home Owners' Loan Corporation on Housing Markets During the 1930s,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1782-1813.
- Price V. Fishback & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William Horrace & Shawn E. Kantor & Jaret Treber, 2010. "The Influence of the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation on Housing Markets During the 1930s," NBER Working Papers 15824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Lowell Harriss, 1951. "History and Policies of the Home Owners' Loan Corporation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number harr51-1.
- Alston, Lee J., 1983. "Farm Foreclosures in the United States During the Interwar Period," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 885-903, December.
- Price V. Fishback & Jonathan Rose & Kenneth Snowden, 2013. "Well Worth Saving: How the New Deal Safeguarded Home Ownership," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fish12-1.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.