Analytical solution for the constrained Hansen-Jagannathan distance under multivariate ellipticity
AbstractWe provide an in-depth analysis of the theoretical properties of the Hansen-Jagannathan (HJ) distance that incorporates a no-arbitrage constraint. Under a multivariate elliptical distribution assumption, we present explicit expressions for the HJ-distance with a no-arbitrage constraint, the associated Lagrange multipliers, and the SDF parameters in the case of linear SDFs. This approach allows us to analyze the benefits and costs of using the HJ-distance with a no-arbitrage constraint to rank asset pricing models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta in its series Working Paper with number 2012-18.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991.
"Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-62, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," NBER Technical Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mahmoud Hamada & Emiliano A. Valdez, 2008. "CAPM and Option Pricing With Elliptically Contoured Distributions," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(2), pages 387-409.
- Lars Peter Hansen & John Heaton & Erzo Luttmer, 1993.
"Econometric Evaluation of Asset Pricing Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2009.
"Model Comparison Using the Hansen-Jagannathan Distance,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3449-3490, September.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2007. "Model comparison using the Hansen-Jagannathan distance," Working Paper 2007-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1999.
"Explaining the Poor Performance of Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models,"
NBER Working Papers
7237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 2000. "Explaining the Poor Performance of Consumption-based Asset Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2863-2878, December.
- Campbell, John & Cochrane, John, 2000. "Explaining the Poor Performance of Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models," Scholarly Articles 3163265, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2008. "The exact distribution of the Hansen-Jagannathan bound," Working Paper 2008-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Bansal, Ravi & Hsieh, David A & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " A New Approach to International Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1719-47, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.