Estimating the intensity of price and non-price competition in banking: an application to the Spanish case
AbstractWe model bank oligopoly behaviour using price and non-price competition as strategic variables in an expanded conjectural variations framework. Rivals can respond to changes in both loan and deposit market prices as well as (non-price) branch market shares. The model is illustrated using data for Spain which, over 1986-2002, eliminated interest rate and branching restrictions and set off a competitive race to lock in expanded market shares. Banks use both interest rates and branches as strategic variables and both have changed over time. We illustrate the results using a regional vs. a national specification for the relevant markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation in its series Working Papers with number 201023.
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision:
non-price competition; banking; market shares.;
Other versions of this item:
- Carbo Valverde, Santiago & Fernández de Guevara y Rodoselovics, Juan & Humphrey, David & Maudos Villarroya, Joaquín, 2005. "Estimating the intensity of price and non-price competition in banking: an application to the Spanish case," MPRA Paper 15259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canhoto, Ana, 2004. "Portuguese banking: A structural model of competition in the deposits market," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 41-63.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2002.
"Bank concentration and retail interest rates,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2155-2189, November.
- Valverde, S. Carbo & Humphrey, David B. & Fernandez, F. Rodriguez, 2003. "Bank deregulation is better than mergers," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 429-449, December.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, January.
- Lucio Fuentelsaz, 1996. "Dinámica de la competencia entre cajas de ahorros españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(1), pages 125-141, January.
- Vittoria Cerasi & Barbara Chizzolini & Marc Ivaldi, 2002. "Branching and competition in the European banking industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(17), pages 2213-2225.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2005. "Competition in markets with dominant firms: A note on the evidence from the Italian banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1083-1093, May.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1996.
"Market structure and performance in Spanish banking using a direct measure of efficiency,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1996-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Joaquin Maudos, 1998. "Market structure and performance in Spanish banking using a direct measure of efficiency," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 191-200.
- Pinho, Paulo Soares de, 2000. "The impact of deregulation on price and non-price competition in the Portuguese deposits market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1515-1533, September.
- Kim, Moshe & Vale, Bent, 2001. "Non-price strategic behavior: the case of bank branches," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1583-1602, December.
- Santiago Carbo Valverdie & David Humphrey & Francisco Rodriguez Fernandez, 2003. "Deregulation, Bank Competition and Regional Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 227-237.
- Barros, Pedro Pita, 1995. "Post-entry expansion in banking: The case of Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 593-611, December.
- Lucio Fuentelsaz & Jaime Gomez, 2001. "Strategic and Queue effects on Entry in Spanish Banking," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 529-563, December.
- Solís, Liliana & Maudos, Joaquín, 2008. "The social costs of bank market power: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 467-488, September.
- Maudos, Joaquín & Solís, Liliana, 2011.
"Deregulation, liberalization and consolidation of the Mexican banking system: Effects on competition,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 337-353, March.
- Liliana Solís & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 2007. "Deregulation, Liberalization And Consolidation Of The Mexican Banking System: Effects On Competition," Working Papers. Serie EC 2007-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Enrique Benito, 2008. "Size, growth and bank dynamics," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0801, Banco de Espa�a.
- Fernandez de Guevara, Juan & Maudos, Joaquin, 2009.
"Regional Financial Development and Bank Competition: Effects on Firms' Growth,"
15256, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan Fernandez de Guevara & Joaquin Maudos, 2009. "Regional Financial Development and Bank Competition: Effects on Firms' Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 211-228.
- Alin Marius Andrieş & Bogdan Căpraru, 2012. "Competition and efficiency in EU27 banking systems," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 41-60, July.
- Juan Ayuso & Jorge Martínez, 2006. "Assessing banking competition: an application to the Spanish market for (quality-changing) deposits," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0623, Banco de Espa�a.
- Raquel Lago-González & Vicente Salas-Fumás, 2005. "Market power and bank interest rate adjustments," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0539, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.