Setting targets for government budgets in the pursuit of intergenerational equity
AbstractThe Stability and Growth Pact (SGP) adopted in 1997 originally set budget balance as the medium-term objective (MTO) for all EU Member States, to create a safety margin under the 3% of GDP deficit ceiling. In a reform in 2005, MTOs were made country-specific and dependent on initial debt and the potential growth rate. They were agreed for a transition period, until the criteria for taking into account implicit pension liabilities under ageing populations were established. Preparations for this are currently (early 2009) ongoing. Against this backdrop, this paper explores possible benchmarks for setting MTOs under alternative rules for the public pension system, based on the principle of â€˜actuarial neutrality across generations'. The effects of privatisation of the mandatory pension system are spelled out. The ongoing revision of the national accounts will establish new accounts for the (implicit) pension liabilities of governments. This will allow targets to be set for explicit and implicit government debt in the light of intergenerational equity. One of the conclusions to emerge from current trends and policies is that reassessing the generosity of public pensions, especially the generously low retirement age in Europe, will remain high on the political agenda, as otherwise the burden to be shouldered by future generations will continue to increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 358.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
medium-term objectives; government budgets; Stability and Growth Pact; ageing populations; public pensions; ageing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wyplosz, Charles, 2002. "Fiscal Policy: Institutions versus Rules," CEPR Discussion Papers 3238, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bosworth, Barry & Burtless, Gary, 2004. "Pension Reform and Saving," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 57(3), pages 703-27, September.
- Roel Beetsma & Heikki Oksanen, 2007.
"Pension Systems, Ageing and the Stability and Growth Pact,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2141, CESifo Group Munich.
- Roel Beetsma & Heikki Oksanen, 2007. "Pension Systems, Ageing and the Stability and Growth Pact," European Economy - Economic Papers 289, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2004.
"The pay-as-you-go pension system as fertility insurance and an enforcement device,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
938, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2004. "The pay-as-you-go pension system as fertility insurance and an enforcement device," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1335-1357, July.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2004. "The pay-as-you-go pension system as fertility insurance and an enforcement device," Munich Reprints in Economics 19606, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Larch, Martin & Jonung, Lars & Fischer, Jonas, 2008.
"101 proposals to reform the Stability and Growth Pact. Why so many? A survey,"
20592, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonas Fischer & Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2007. "101 Proposals to reform the Stability and Growth Pact. Why so many? A Survey," European Economy - Economic Papers 267, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Roel Beetsma & Heikki Oksanen, 2008. "Pensions under Ageing Populations and the EU Stability and Growth Pact ," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(4), pages 563-592, December.
- Benoiˆt Coeure´ & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2005. "Fiscal Policy in Emu: Towards a Sustainability and Growth Pact?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 598-617, Winter.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2004. "Improving the SGP Through a Proper Accounting of Public Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4220, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J., 2002.
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 27, pages 1873-1932
- Heikki Oksanen, 2004. "Pension reforms: an illustrated basic analysis," European Economy - Economic Papers 201, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2005. "Fiscal policy in EMU: towards a sustainability and growth pact," Working Papers 52, Bruegel.
- Oksanen, Heikki, 2005. "Public pensions in the national accounts and public finance targets," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 291-312, November.
- Peter Whiteford & Edward Whitehouse, 2006. "Pension Challenges and Pension Reforms in Oecd Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 78-94, Spring.
- Guido Tabellini, 2003. "Principles of Policymaking in the European Union: an Economic Perspective," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000157, David K. Levine.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Paul van den Noord & Richard Herd, 1993. "Pension Liabilities in the Seven Major Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 142, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.