Structural Reforms and Fiscal Discipline in Europe
AbstractThe global slowdown has tested the effectiveness of the European institutional frameworks in supporting both stability and growth which led to a number of proposals for reform regarding the institutional design of the European Union and on the relationship between the goal of fiscal discipline and the plan of structural reforms. This paper aims at collecting and summarising recent contributions on the effectiveness of the institutional framework operating in Europe to fulfil the objectives declared in the Lisbon Agenda under the fiscal constraints established in the Stability and Growth Pact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Transition Studies Review.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112913
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandro Girardi & Paolo Paesani, 2008. "Structural Reforms and Fiscal Discipline in Europe," ISAE Working Papers 102, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Buti, M. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Franco, D., 2003.
"Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: Grand Design or Internal Adjustment?,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-176184, Tilburg University.
- Marco Buti & Sylvester Eijffinger & Daniele Franco, 2003. "Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: grand design or internal adjustment?," European Economy - Economic Papers 180, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Buti, M. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Franco, D., 2003. "Revisiting the stability and growth pact: Grand design or internal adjustment?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152958, Tilburg University.
- Buti, Marco & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Franco, Daniele, 2003. "Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: Grand Design or Internal Adjustment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, Roel & Debrun, Xavier, 2003.
"Reconciling Stability and Growth: Smart Pacts and Structural Reforms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3930, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & Xavier Debrun, 2004. "Reconciling Stability and Growth: Smart Pacts and Structural Reforms," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(3), pages 431-456, November.
- Marco Buti & Werner Rüger & Alessandro Turrini, 2009.
"Is Lisbon Far from Maastricht? Trade-offs and Complementarities between Fiscal Discipline and Structural Reforms,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 55(1), pages 165-196, March.
- Buti, Marco & Röger, Werner & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2007. "Is Lisbon far from Maastricht? Trade-offs and Complementarities between Fiscal Discipline and Structural Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 6204, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bean, Charles, 1998. "Monetary Policy under EMU," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 41-53, Autumn.
- Hallett, Andrew Hughes & Jensen, Svend E. Hougaard & Richter, Christian, 2005. "The European economy at the cross roads: Structural reforms, fiscal constraints, and the Lisbon Agenda," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 229-250, June.
- Wyplosz, Charles, 2002. "Fiscal Policy: Institutions versus Rules," CEPR Discussion Papers 3238, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 2002.
"The Stability and Growth Pact as an Impediment to Privatizing Social Security,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3621, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 2002. "The Stability and Growth Pact as an Impediment to Privatizing Social Security," NBER Working Papers 9278, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004.
"An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lorenzo Bini Smaghi & Claudio Casini, 2000. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Co-operation: Institutions and Procedures in EMU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 375-391, 09.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & Xavier Debrun, 2003. "Reconciling Stability and Growth," IMF Working Papers 03/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Khalid Sekkat & Marco Buti & Carlos Martinez-Mongay & Paul van den Noord, 2003. "Automatic fiscal stabilisers in EMU: a conflict between efficiency and stabilization?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7354, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Christopher Allsopp, 2002. "The Future of Macroeconomic Policy in the European Union," Discussion Papers 07, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2004. "Improving the SGP Through a Proper Accounting of Public Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4220, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Deroose, Servaas & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2005. "The Short-Term Budgetary Implications of Structural Reforms. Evidence from a Panel of EU Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5217, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.