The European Central Bank: Decision Rules and Macroeconomic Performance
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the effects of different decision rules in the ECB on monetary stability. We consider a model where asymmetric shocks and divergent propagation of shocks on output and inflation are potential causes of tensions within the ECB concerning the conduct of monetary (interest rate) policy. Given divergence of desired interest rates (due to the asymmetries) we analyze the effect of different voting procedures within the Governing Council of the ECB. Welfare implications are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces9834.
Date of creation: Dec 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Aksoy, Yunus & De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans, 1999. "The European Central Bank: Decision Rules and Macroeconomic Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 2067, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul De Grauwe & Hans Dewachter & Yunus Aksoy, 1999. "Effectiveness of Monetary Policy in Euroland," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 299-318, December.
- Lucio Valerio Spagnolo & Mario Cerrato, 2005. "No euro please, We’re British!," CELPE Discussion Papers 95, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Vaubel, Roland, 1999. "The Future of the Euro : A Public Choice Perspective," Discussion Papers 570, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.