An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions: Evidence from India
AbstractThe consumption patterns, socio-economic distribution and the household choice of a variety of tobacco products across rural and urban India are analyzed. Using a Multinomial Logit Model, the choice behavior of a household in deciding whether and which tobacco products to consume analyzed. Household level data from National Sample Survey in India for the year 1999-2000, which has information on 120,309 households, has been used for this purpose. [IGIDR WP-2004-002].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2188.
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Tobacco; Bidi; Cigarette; Consumption; Multinomial Logit; India; national sample survey; multinominal logit model; household; socio-economic;
Other versions of this item:
- Rijo John, 2004. "An analysis of household's tobacco consumption decisions: Evidence from India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2004-002, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rijo M John, 2004. "An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions : Evidence from India," Microeconomics Working Papers 22393, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-08-30 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-08-30 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-HEA-2009-08-30 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John, Rijo M., 2005. "Tobacco consumption patterns and its health implications in India," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 213-222, February.
- Rijo M John, 2005.
"Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22395, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rijo M. John, 2005. "Price elasticity estimates for tobacco and other addictive goods in India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2005-003, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rijo John, 2005. "Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India," Working Papers id:117, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.