The Effects of Active Labour Market Programmes on Employment in Ireland
AbstractIreland ranks as one of the leading countries in the share of GNP devoted to active labour market programmes for the unemployed. Research into the effectiveness of such programmes has been limited. This paper is based on a follow-up survey of individuals who completed or dropped out of a range of active labour market policies in 1992. The paper differentiates between different types of training and employment programmes, and controlling for the effects of individuals characteristics, estimates the effects of participation in different programmes types on four post-programme outcomes - short and long-term employment probabilities, proportion of post-programme time spent in employment, and income from employment. The analysis shows that two types of programme - training in marketable skills and subsides to employment in the open labour market - conferred long-term benefits on participants, compared both with participants in other types of programmes and with a control group on non-participants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP072.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jan 1996
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dolton, Peter J & Makepeace, Gerald H & Treble, John G, 1994. "The Youth Training Scheme and the School-to-Work Transition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(4), pages 629-57, October.
- David Card & Daniel Sullivan, 1987.
"Measuring the Effect of Subsidized Training Programs on Movements In andOut of Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
2173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Sullivan, Daniel G, 1988. "Measuring the Effect of Subsidized Training Programs on Movements in and out of Employment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 497-530, May.
- Main, Brian G M & Shelly, Michael A, 1990. "The Effectiveness of the Youth Training Scheme as a Manpower Policy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(228), pages 495-514, November.
- Schröder, Lena, 2004. "The role of youth programmes in the transition from school to work," Working Paper Series 2004:5, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.