The Effects of Experience, Ownership, and Knowledge on IPO Survival: Empirical Evidence from Germany
AbstractWe study the implications of ownership and its induced incentives on firm survival on the stock market for young and high-tech firms. Using a unique data set of all 341 firms listed on the Neuer Markt, the German counterpart of the NASDAQ, our results differ from studies on more traditional firms. Ownership by CEOs has no influence on firm survival when introducing measurements of human capital and intellectual property rights. This confirms assumptions that firms in the knowledge based industries differ also in their governance structure from traditional firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group in its series Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy with number 2004-20.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-06-02 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EEC-2004-06-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2004-06-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2004-06-02 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George P. Baker & Robert E. Kennedy, 2002. "Survivorship and the Economic Grim Reaper," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 324-361, October.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2004.
"Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2177-2210, October.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2002. "Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," NBER Working Papers 8764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2002. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," CEPR Discussion Papers 3243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Strömberg, Per, 2003. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," SIFR Research Report Series 14, Institute for Financial Research.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2011. "The survival and success of Canadian penny stock IPOs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 101-121, January.
- Hielke Buddelmeyer & Paul H. Jensen & Elizabeth Webster, 2006.
"Innovation and the Determinants of Firm Survival,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2006n15, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Luis F. Medrano E., 2012. "Patent Citations, University Inventor Patents, and Survival in the German Laser Source Industry (1960-2005)," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-009, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Ioannis Asimakopoulos & Dionysis Lalountas & Costas Siriopoulos, 2008. "The determinants for the survival of firms in the Athens Exchange," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 31, pages 07-30, November.
- Lucio Cassia & Alessandra Colombelli, 2006. "Entrepreneurship As Regional Development Catalyst," ERSA conference papers ersa06p627, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.