Five Labour Budgets (1997 - 2001): impacts on the distribution of household incomes and on child poverty
AbstractThis short paper updates the material presented in Microsimulation Research Notes 35 and 36 on the impact of Budget changes on incomes in general and child poverty rates in particular. It takes account of all the main policy changes to be introduced by the Labour government of 1997-2001. The focus is on personal taxes and social security benefits that have a direct effect on household incomes. As well as providing a picture of the distributional effects, the paper aims to show how choices made in the presentation of distributional analysis can affect the conclusions that are drawn.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Microsimulation Unit at the Institute for Social and Economic Research in its series Microsimulation Unit Research Notes with number MU/RN/41.
Date of creation: 07 May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: RAB Butler Building, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, ESSEX C04 3SQ
Phone: +44 (0)1206 872957
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/euromod/microsimulation-unit
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Redmond,Gerry & Sutherland,Holly & Wilson,Moira, 1998. "The Arithmetic of Tax and Social Security Reform," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521632249, November.
- Sutherland, Holly & Piachaud, David, 2001. "Reducing Child Poverty in Britain: An Assessment of Government Policy 1997-2001," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(469), pages F85-101, February.
- Olivier Bargain, 2009.
"The Distributional Effects of Tax-benefit Policies under New Labour: A Shapley Decomposition,"
200918, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier, 2009. "The Distributional Effects of Tax-Benefit Policies under New Labour: A Shapley Decomposition," IZA Discussion Papers 4296, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain, 2009. "The Distributional Effects of Tax-benefit Policies under New Labour - A Shapley Decomposition," Working Papers 200907, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier, 2009. "The distributional effects of tax-benefit policies under New Labour: a Shapley decomposition," EUROMOD Working Papers EM2/09, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.