Toward a Consolidated Preferential Tariff Structure in East Asia: Going beyond ASEAN+1 FTAs
AbstractASEAN countries are discussing a possible template for trade in goods chapter of so-called ASEAN++ FTA (also known as RCEP). Analyses of tariff structures under the current ASEAN+1 FTAs give insights on possible approaches as well as challenges in this discussion. To meet 90% or 95% tariff elimination thresholds, both ASEAN countries and their FTA partners should make further efforts. When a "common concession" approach, which we advocate in this paper, is applied, the challenge becomes even larger as member countries should focus their policy discretion on a more limited number of sensitive products. These challenges, on the other hand, mean room for additional gains for potential users of the new agreement despite the existence of ASEAN+1 FTAs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Working Papers with number PB-2012-03.
Length: 8 pages.
Date of creation: 01 May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Shoichi MIYAHARA & Masatsugu TSUJI & Yasushi UEKI, 2010. "Detecting Effective Knowledge Sources in Product Innovation: Evidence from Local Firms and MNCs/JVs in Southeast Asia," Working Papers DP-2010-08, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Masatsugu TSUJI & Yasushi UEKI, 2010. "How ICTs Raise Manufacturing Performance: Firm-level Evidence in Southeast Asia," Working Papers DP-2010-07, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Lee, Sang-Hyop & Mason, Andrew & Park, Donghyun, 2011. "Why Does Population Aging Matter So Much for Asia? Population Aging, Economic Growth, and Economic Security in Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 284, Asian Development Bank.
- Kazunobu HAYAKAWA & Fukunari KIMURA & Tomohiro MACHIKITA, 2009.
"Firm-level Analysis of Globalization: A Survey,"
d008, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Yoshifumi Fukunaga & Ikumo Isono, 2013. "Taking ASEAN+1 FTAs towards the RCEP: A Mapping Study," Working Papers DP-2013-02, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.