Regional Dynamics of Innovation - Investigating the Co-Evolution of Patents, R&D, and Employment
AbstractWe investigate the lead-lag relationship between growth of patent applications, growth of R&D, and growth of total sectoral employment for 270 German labour market regions over the period 1999-2005. Our unique panel dataset includes information on four two-digit industries, namely Chemistry, Transport equipment, Medical & Optical Equipment as well as Electrics & Electronics. The results obtained from a vector autoregression model show that an increased innovative activity is associated with subsequent growth of employment in the Medical & Optical Equipment industry as well as in the Electrics & Electronics sector. With respect to the latter growth of patent applications is also associated with subsequent growth of R&D employees indicating either a 'success-breeds-success' story or benefits due to agglomeration economies at the level of the region. However we do not find those effects for the other industries due to their idiosyncratic innovation and patenting behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography in its series Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) with number 0908.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision: Jun 2009
innovation; regional dynamics; r&d growth; employment growth; patent growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Matthias Bürger & Tom Brökel & Alex Coad, 2009. "Regional Dynamics of Innovation Investigating the Co-Evolution of Patents, R&D, and Employment," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-046, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-07-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2009-07-11 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2009-07-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2009-07-11 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2009-07-11 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2009-07-11 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matthias Duschl & Thomas Brenner, 2013. "Growth dynamics in regional systems of technological activities â€“ A SVAR approach," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-12, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Christian, Dreger & Georg, Erber, 2010.
"Regionale Innovationssysteme der EU im Prozess der Globalisierung
[Regional EU-Innovationsystems under Transformation in the Process of Globalisation]," MPRA Paper 26112, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Oct 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.