The Impact of Irrigation on Aquatic Wetland Resources - A Case Study of That Luang Marsh, Lao PDR
AbstractThis study assesses the impact of irrigation on That Luang Marsh (TLM) in Vientiane, the capital city of the People’s Democratic Republic (PDR) of Laos. The study finds that the economic benefits provided by the marsh (particularly in terms of the fish it supplies to local people) far outweigh the benefits provided by the extraction of water for irrigation. As extraction of water for irrigation is threatening the ecology of the marsh and its ability to maintain a viable stock of fish, it is clear that the amount of water extracted for irrigation should be reduced. The report recommends that a minimum level for the water in TLM should be set to ensure the conservation of its precious wetland ecosystem. The report finds that, on balance, this would have a positive impact on the livelihoods of local people. This means that the conservation of the marsh makes good economic sense. To help the farmers who would be negatively affected by these measures, the report shows how they could be trained to use irrigation water more effectively, grow alternative crops that require less water than rice, catch fish and collect vegetables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA) in its series EEPSEA Research Report with number rr2009031.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision: Mar 2009
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o IDRC, 22 Cross Street, #02-55, South Bridge Court, Singapore 048421
Phone: 6438 4844
Fax: 65 6438 7877
Web page: http://www.eepsea.net
More information through EDIRC
wetland; conservation; Lao PDR;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q50 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - General
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-04-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2009-04-25 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2009-04-25 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Kompas, 2004. "Market reform, productivity and efficiency in Vietnamese rice production," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec04-4, International and Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory yusuf).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.