Central Bank Transparency: Another Look
AbstractThis paper extends the Dincer and Eichengreen (2007) index of central bank transparency. Improvements in transparency are notable in Central and Eastern Europe, while the index has shown much smaller rises in most other parts of the world. The pattern observed by Dincer and Eichengreen, consistent with a permanent increase in central bank transparency, is also evident in the updated results. The dramatic enhancements in central bank transparency reported earlier appear to be a feature of the late 1990s and early 2000s. Whether the subsequent data reflects limits to central banks transparency or, to some extent, transparency ‘fatigue’, is unclear.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University in its series CAMA Working Papers with number 2010-23.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carin A.B. van der Cruijsen & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger & Lex H. Hoogduin, 2008.
"Optimal Central Bank Transparency,"
DNB Working Papers
178, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Cruijsen, C.A.B. van der & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Hoogduin, L.H., 2010. "Optimal Central Bank transparency," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4163962, Tilburg University.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Hoogduin, Lex & van der Cruijsen, Carin A B, 2008. "Optimal Central Bank Transparency," CEPR Discussion Papers 6889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cruijsen, C.A.B. van der & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Hoogduin, L.H., 2008. "Optimal Central Bank Transparency," Discussion Paper 2008-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C.W. & Karataş, Bilge, 2012.
"Currency crises and monetary policy: A study on advanced and emerging economies,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 948-974.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C. W. & Karatas, Bilge, 2010. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy: A Study on Advanced and Emerging Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 7798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Siklos, Pierre L., 2013. "Sources of disagreement in inflation forecasts: An international empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 218-231.
- Neuenkirch, Matthias, 2012.
"Managing financial market expectations: The role of central bank transparency and central bank communication,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-13.
- Matthias Neuenkirch, 2010. "Managing Financial Market Expectations: The Role of Central Bank Transparency and Central Bank Communication," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201028, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Dai, Meixing & Sidiropoulos, Moïse, 2010.
"Monetary and fiscal policy interactions with central bank transparency and public investment,"
23704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dai, Meixing & Sidiropoulos, Moïse, 2011. "Monetary and fiscal policy interactions with central bank transparency and public investment," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 195-208, September.
- Meixing Dai & Moïse Sidiropoulos, 2010. "Monetary and fiscal policy interactions with central bank transparency and public investment," Working Papers of BETA 2010-21, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Matthias Neuenkirch, 2011.
"Central Bank Transparency and Financial Market Expectations: The Case of Emerging Markets,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201136, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Neuenkirch, Matthias, 2013. "Central bank transparency and financial market expectations: The case of emerging markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 598-609.
- Franka Liedorp & Robert Mosch & Carin van der Cruijsen & Jakob de Haan, 2011.
"Transparency of banking supervisors,"
DNB Working Papers
297, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Dai, Meixing & Sidiropoulos, Moïse & Spyromitros, Eleftherios, 2010. "Fiscal policy, institutional quality and central bank transparency," MPRA Paper 23766, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pierre L Siklos, 2013. "Forecast disagreement and the anchoring of inflation expectations in the Asia-Pacific Region," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and inflation dynamics in Asia and the Pacific, volume 70, pages 25-40 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.