Second-Order Approximation to the Rotemberg Model around a Distorted Steady State
AbstractLess is known about social welfare objectives when it is costly to change prices, as in Rotemberg (1982), compared with Calvo-type models. We derive a quadratic approximate welfare function around a distorted steady state for the costly price adjustment model. We highlight the similarities and differences to the Calvo setup. Both models imply inflation and output stabilization goals. It is explained why the degree of distortion in the economy influences inflation aversion in the Rotemberg framework in a way that differs from the Calvo setup.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE) in its series SIRE Discussion Papers with number 2010-31.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Price Stickiness; Rotemberg Model; Costly Price Adjustment;
Other versions of this item:
- Damjanovic, Tatiana & Nolan, Charles, 2011. "Second-order approximation to the Rotemberg model around a distorted steady state," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 132-135, February.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2008.
CDMA Working Paper Series
200807, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 198-230, February.
- Martin Uribe & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 2001. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," Departmental Working Papers 200105, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 9220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2004.
"Inflation stabilization and welfare: The case of a distorted steady state,"
0405-04, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2005. "Inflation Stabilization And Welfare: The Case Of A Distorted Steady State," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(6), pages 1185-1236, December.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2004. "Inflation Stabilization and Welfare: The Case of a Distorted Steady State," NBER Working Papers 10838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2004. "Inflation Stabilization and Welfare: The Case of a Distorted Steady State," 2004 Meeting Papers 481, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- BOUAKEZ, Hafed & CARDIA Emanuela & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco, 2005.
"The Transmission of Monetary Policy in a Multi-Sector Economy,"
Cahiers de recherche
2005-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hafedh Bouakez & Emanuela Cardia & Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2009. "The Transmission Of Monetary Policy In A Multisector Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1243-1266, November.
- BOUAKEZ, Hafedh & CARDIA, Emanuela & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2005. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in a Multi-Sector Economy," Cahiers de recherche 20-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Rossi Lorenza & Guido Ascari, 2008. "Long-run Phillips Curve and Disinfation Dynamics: Calvo vs. Rotemberg Price Setting," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0082, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2010. "Seigniorage-Maximizing Inflation under Sticky Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(2-3), pages 503-519, 03.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
- Campbell Leith & Ding Liu, 2014. "The inflation bias under Calvo and Rotemberg pricing," Working Papers 2014_06, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Steffen Ahrens & Matthias Hartmann, 2014. "State-dependence vs. Time-dependence: An Empirical Multi-Country Investigation of Price Sluggishness," Kiel Working Papers 1907, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.