Disparidades regionales en la tasa de paro: El papel del mecanismo de determinación salarial
AbstractIn the last decades, the existence of significative and persistent differences among the regional unemployment rates has fostered a renewed interest in the analysis of the characteristics of the labour market at the regional level. The aim of this paper is to show the degree of rigidness and homogeneity of the Spanish manufacturing wage setting mechanism and the impact of such fact on the regional employment evolution. For such we estimate a wage setting equation at the regional level with manfacturing data, and our results confirm the existence of the marked industrial differences detected at the national level concerning the relationship between wages and productivity. However, for each industry the performance among regions is quite homogeneous, which could be explained by a wage bargaining system where the industry-level agreement is more common than the firm-level agreement. These marked differences between industries may well explain the recent evolution of the regional labor markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia in its series Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica with number 0018.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Chalé dos Catedráticos, 1. Avda. das Ciencias s/n. Campus Vida, 15782 Santiago de Compostela
Phone: 981 59 11 66
Fax: 981 59 99 35
Web page: http://www.usc.es/idega/
More information through EDIRC
wage differentials; efficiency; rent-sharing; panel data.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bande, Roberto & Fernández, Melchor & Montuenga, Víctor, 2008.
"Regional unemployment in Spain: Disparities, business cycle and wage setting,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 885-914, October.
- Roberto Bande & Melchor Fernandez & Víctor Manuel Montuenga, 2005. "Regional Unemployment in Spain - Disparities, Business Cycle and Wage Setting," ERSA conference papers ersa05p489, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Bande & Melchor Fernandez & Victor Montuenga, 2005. "Regional Unemployment in Spain: Disparities, Business Cycle and Wage Setting," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0035, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- Roberto Bande, 2002. "Lagged Adjustment Processes and the Natural Rate in Spain: A Comparison with Portugal," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0021, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Fernandez Grela).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.