Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund
AbstractThe rise of regional monetary arrangements poses a challenge for the International Monetary Fund (IMF)'s global surveillance efforts. This paper reviews how the IMF has responded to earlier regional initiatives, from the European Payments Union of the 1950s and the Gold Pool of the 1960s to the CFA franc zone and the European Monetary System. The penultimate section draws out the implications for monetary regionalism in East Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Macroeconomics Working Papers with number 23354.
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Regional monetary arrangements; IMF; global surveillance; East Asia;
Other versions of this item:
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," ADBI Working Papers 394, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Finance Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Governance Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- F55 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, . "EU-IMF assistance to euro area countries: an early assessment," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 779, 12.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.