Economic growth and education: a new international policy
AbstractFirst of all this paper presents a world wide view of economic growth and education in 1994, with data of population, gross domestic product per head, and public expenditure on education per head for 199 countries grouped in 40 geographical areas. In the second place the paper present an international production function that includes both physical capital and human capital, measured by the stock of population with secondary education of second level complete, as factors of production. The model was fitted with data of 37 countries, of different levels of development, and shows a good fit and the significativeness of the coefficient of both variables. Education has a positive influence in economic development As many countries are very far below the world average of production and education expenditure by inhabitant, measured in purchasing power parities around 5620 dollars for production and 257 for education expenditure by inhabitant, the only way to improve their situation is to foster international co-operation, as many of those countries are unable to cope with their challenges because they are so poor. Education has a positive influence on economic growth also reducing excesses in fertility average rates, creating a social environment that improve productive investment, making workers more productive and voters more prepared to choose a good government and promote reasonable socio-economic policies. The international co-operation should improve also, where needed, better quality in education contents of human values, promoting respect to peace, human rights and equality for women, as well as the learning of one or more widely spoken world languages to avoid isolation and promoting the access to a greater wealth of information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics. in its series Economic Development with number 18.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avda Xoan XXIII S/N, 15704 Santiago de Compostela
Phone: (981) 56 31 00 Ext: 11518
Fax: (981) 56 36 37
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/welcomei.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong Wha, 1996. "International Measures of Schooling Years and Schooling Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 218-23, May.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993.
"International Comparisons of Educational Attainment,"
NBER Working Papers
4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993. "International comparisons of educational attainment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Nehru, Vikram & Swanson, Eric & Dubey, Ashutosh, 1995. "A new database on human capital stock in developing and industrial countries: Sources, methodology, and results," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 379-401, April.
- Neira, Isabel & Exposito, Pilar & Aguayo, Eva, 1998.
"El capital humano en America latina en el periodo 1965-90 y su contribucion al desarrollo economico,"
25, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- Neira, Isabel & Expósito, Pilar & Aguayo, Eva, 2003. "El capital humano en América Latina en el período 1965-90 y su contribución al desarrollo económico," Observatorio de la Economía Latinoamericana, Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga), issue 07, May.
- Eva Aguayo Lorenzo, & Portillo Vitoria, Saskia & Expósito Díaz, Pilar, 2003. "El capital humano en América Latina en el período 1965-90 y su contribución al desarrollo económico," Observatorio de la Economía Latinoamericana, Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga), issue 07, May.
- Neira, Isabel & Aguayo, Eva & Exposito, Pilar, 2001. "El capital humano en America Latina en el periodo 1965-90 y su contribucion al desarrollo economico," Estudios Economicos de Desarrollo Internacional, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask M. Carmen Guisan to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.