Case Study of Three German Banks Stuck in the Subprime Crisis
AbstractThis paper is aimed at finding banks' destabilizing behaviors that explain why the impact of the crisis is so serious in the banking system. By comparing three German banks stuck in the crisis, I find that: I) the leverage is a common destabilizing factor and, ii) the banks were highly interconnected to other financial institutions and had a large maturity mismatch were more seriously affected by the crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX in its series EconomiX Working Papers with number 2010-20.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Systemic crisis; Leverage; Maturity mismatch; Banking regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-12-04 (Banking)
- NEP-FMK-2010-12-04 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-REG-2010-12-04 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.