Mesure de la performance des banques dans une zone d'ancrage monétaire: cas de la France et des pays de l'UMOA
AbstractOur study aims at measuring banking system efficiency for France and WAMU, by isolating environmental specificities to each region. Our results show that the two banking systems have quite close efficiency scores about 80%. As their french counterparts, WAMU banks are efficient; however this assertion is true in regarding the environment in which they evolve. Indeed, those banks transform collected deposits in short term loans or loans to big foreign corporations, that they are sure to recover lent amounts. This situation has the following effect: a significant part of entreprises (smal and medium ones) are under funded. The comparison of the two banking systems lead us to suggest that monetary and financial authorities implement reforms. Those reforms inspired by french ones and adapted to the WAMU specificity and environement, would help the banking system of the zone to effectively play its financial intermediary role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX in its series EconomiX Working Papers with number 2009-6.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
anchorage monetary zone; banking efficiency; stochastic frontier analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- P17 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Performance and Prospects
- P52 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Studies of Particular Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.