Hedging residual value risk using derivatives
AbstractAbstract: In the leasing industry the lessor faces a risk, at the end of the contract, in not recovering sufficient capital value from resale of the asset. We propose a model to hedge residual value risk using the Gaussian copula methodology. After discussing residual value risk and credit risk modelization, a new derivative product is introduced and analyzed; the Collateralized Residual Values (CRV). The model is applied to an European auto lease portfolio of operating lease contracts pertaining to a major company. Our results indicate that the financial product is easy to customize, and to implement through the contract characteristics and the level of correlation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX in its series EconomiX Working Papers with number 2009-31.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Residual value risk; credit risk; credit derivatives; factor modeling; copula;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2009-10-17 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2009-10-17 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philipp J. Schönbucher, 2000. "Factor Models for Portofolio Credit Risk," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers, University of Bonn, Germany bgse16_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Mathias Schmit, 2005.
"Is automotive leasing a risky business?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/14325, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mathias Schmit, 2003. "Is Automotive Leasing a Risky Business?," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 03-009.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Grenadier, Steven R., 1995. "Valuing lease contracts A real-options approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 297-331, July.
- Schmit, Mathias, 2004. "Credit risk in the leasing industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 811-833, April.
- Hugues Pirotte & Mathias Schmit & Céline Vaessen, 2004. "Credit risk mitigation evidence in auto leases: LGD and residual value risk," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 04-008.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.