Meeting the Poverty-Reduction MDG in the Southern Cone
AbstractThis paper assesses the likelihood of meeting the Millennium Development Goal of halving poverty by 2015 in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay. We simulate the poverty impact of changes in growth rates and redistributive policies, and trace the poverty consequences of various alternative economic scenarios using microeconometric decompositions. Sustainable and vigorous productivity growth seems to be a necessary condition to meet the poverty MDG by 2015 in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. The required growth rate could be significantly lower if some modest well-targeted redistribution could be performed. In contrast to its neighbors, Chile has already achieved the poverty MDG.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata in its series CEDLAS, Working Papers with number 0023.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
MDG; poverty; Argentina; Chile; Paraguay; Uruguay;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-05-06 (Development)
- NEP-LAM-2006-05-06 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hernán Winkler, 2005. "Monitoring the Socio-Economic Conditions in Uruguay," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0026, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "Quantifying Absolute Poverty in the Developing World," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(4), pages 345-61, December.
- Ricardo Bebczuk, 2009. "SME Access to Credit in Guatemala and Nicaragua: Challenging Conventional Wisdom with New Evidence," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0080, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Martín Cicowiez & Luciano Di Gresia & Leonardo Gasparini, 2007. "Políticas Públicas y Objetivos de Desarrollo del Milenio en la Argentina," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0056, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Federico Gutiérrez & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2005.
"Growth and Income Poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean: Evidence from Household Surveys,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0030, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Federico Gutiérrez & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007. "Growth And Income Poverty In Latin America And The Caribbean: Evidence From Household Surveys," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(2), pages 209-245, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.