03-06 "Free Trade, Corn, and the Environment: Environmental Impacts of US – Mexico Corn Trade Under NAFTA"
AbstractThe North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) had a profound impact on corn trade between the United States and Mexico. Negotiated tariff reductions and the Mexican government’s decision not to charge some tariffs to which it was entitled resulted in a doubling of US corn exports to Mexico. This paper examines the environmental implications of this change on both sides of the border.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GDAE, Tufts University in its series GDAE Working Papers with number 03-06.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-09 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Francisco Aguayo, . "01-06 "The $6.1 Million Dollar Question"," GDAE Working Papers, GDAE, Tufts University 01-06, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Batie, Sandra S. & Ervin, David E., 2001. "Transgenic crops and the environment: missing markets and public roles," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 435-457, October.
- Ribaudo, Marc & Bouzaher, Aziz, 1994. "Atrazine: Environmental Characteristics and Economics of Management," Agricultural Economics Reports, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service 34011, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Frank Ackerman & Luke Ney, . "02-01 "Economic Analysis in Environmental Reviews of Trade Agreements: Assessing the North American Experience"," GDAE Working Papers, GDAE, Tufts University 02-01, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Timothy A. Wise, . "04-02 "The Paradox of Agricultural Subsidies: Measurement Issues, Agricultural Dumping, and Policy Reform"," GDAE Working Papers, GDAE, Tufts University 04-02, GDAE, Tufts University.
- James Boyce, 2007. "Is Inequality Bad for the Environment?," Working Papers, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst wp135, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Elizabeth Fitting, 2006. "Importing Corn, Exporting Labor: The Neoliberal Corn Regime, GMOs, and the Erosion of Mexican Biodiversity," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 15-26, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erin Coutts).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.