A note on the Bauer-Kornai investment cycle theory
AbstractThis short paper has formulated the Bauer-Kornai investment cycle theory in a dynamic system of shortage and the investment rate: when the actual investment rate is higher (lower) than the normal one, the shortage intensity tends to intensify (decrease); when the shortage intensity is above (below) the norm, social planners react to lower (raise) the investment rate. This approach of adjustment by norm has been widely applied to empirical work on investment fluctuations in socialist countries, though the rationality of the investment cycles has been ignored by many. Here it has been shown that this cycle model can be explicitly derived from the rational choice of social planners.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics in its series CEMA Working Papers with number 97.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in China Economic Review, Volume 4, Issue 1, Spring 1993, Pages 75-81
Other versions of this item:
- Zou, Heng-fu, 1993. "A note on the Bauer-Kornai investment cycle theory," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 75-81.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- P26 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Political Economy
- P24 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - National Income, Product, and Expenditure; Money; Inflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zou, Heng-fu, 1991.
"Socialist economic growth and political investment cycles,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 141-157, July.
- Zou, Heng-fu, 1991. "Socialist economic growth and political investment cycles," Policy Research Working Paper Series 615, The World Bank.
- Roland, Gerard, 1987. "Investment growth fluctuations in the Soviet Union: An econometric analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 192-206, June.
- Junlu Ma & Zeguang Li & Qunyong Wang, 2009. "Financial constraints, agency cost and firm’s investment behavior: Evidence from listed companies of China," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 384-405, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.