Local identity and food and wine communication as a lever for place marketing
AbstractHaving defined place marketing and taken into consideration the public and private actors who contribute to the design of a strategic plan for the promotion of a local area, food and wine products are analyzed as an example of assets that can be emphasized in order to add value to the identity of a specific place and on which to build communication activities. The use of the concepts of “identity” and “spirit of a place” combined with the use of food and wine products as an example of typical local production can be a useful departure point around which to organize local development projects, especially if they are included in a coordinated promotion programme for the whole country. In fact, even while keeping the salient characteristics of each area distinct, it is necessary to plan combined promotion and communication policies, so as to promote local products as well as the historical, cultural and natural contexts in which they are produced, making the entire qualitative potential of our country more perceptible to the eyes of possible domestic and foreign investors and users.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO) in its series CERIS Working Paper with number 201208.
Length: 28 pages Keywords : place marketing, area marketing, local marketing, territorial marketing, food and wine products, communication, tourism, sustainable development, local promotion, local development plans, identity and place, typical products
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
- M39 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Other
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O20 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-06-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2012-06-05 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-TUR-2012-06-05 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrico Viarisio) or (Anna Perin) or (Giancarlo Birello).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.