Identifying Linear Restrictions On The Monetary Excange Rate Model And The Uncovered Interest Parity: Cointegration Evedence From The Canadian - U.S. Dollar
AbstractIn this paper, the long-run validity of the monetary model for the Canadian-U.S. dollar is reexamined. The time-series properties of the variables are examined with the use of nonseasonal and seasonal unit root and stationarity tests, and it is shown that they are I(1) processes with no seasonal effects. Two significant cointegration vectors are discovered using Johansen's methodology, but the system is found to be overidentified and, hence, the authors are unable to assign the monetary model with either vector. Parameter stability of Johansen's results is tested using the recursive methodology developed by H. Hansen and S. Johansen (1993).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Crete, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 9511.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Georgios P. Kouretas, 1997. "Identifying Linear Restrictions on the Monetary Exchange Rate Model and the Uncovered Interest Parity: Cointegration Evidence from the Canadian-U.S. Dollar," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 875-90, November.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David O. Cushman, 2000. "The failure of the monetary exchange rate model for the Canadian-U.S. dollar," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 591-603, August.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F. & Georgoutsos, Dimitris A. & Kouretas, Georgios P., 1998.
"The Monetary Approach to the Exchange Rate: Long-Run Relationships, Identification and Temporal Stability,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 741-766, October.
- Panayiotis Diamantis & Dimitris Georgoutsos & George Kouretas, . "The Monetary Approach To The Exchange Rate: Long-Run Relationships, Identification And Temporal Stability," Working Papers 9507, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Adawo, Monday A. & Effiong, Ekpeno L., 2013. "Monetary exchange rate model as a long-run phenomenon: evidence from Nigeria," MPRA Paper 46407, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis Diamantis & Dimitris Georgoutsos & George Kouretas, 2001. "The Monetary Approach in the Presence of I(2) Components: A Cointegration Analysis of the Official and Black Market for Foreign Currency in Latin America," Working Papers 0108, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Lee, Chin & Law, Chee-Hong, 2013. "The Effects of Trade Openness on Malaysian Exchange Rate," MPRA Paper 45185, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nejib Hachicha, 2003. "Capital Inflows-National Saving Dynamics in Tunisia: Evidence from Cointegration, Weak Exogeneity and Simultaneous Error Correction Modelling," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 43-60.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.