Medicaid and the Elderly
AbstractThe brief’s key findings are: *Medicaid covers not only the low-income elderly but also those with higher incomes who become impoverished by health costs, such as nursing home care. *The percentage of high-income single retirees receiving Medicaid rises with age – from near zero for those in their 70s to 20 percent for those in their late 90s. *Even higher-income retirees who never receive Medicaid benefit from the insurance value that it provides, which allows them to maintain smaller reserves. *The analysis suggests that single retirees of all incomes value current Medicaid benefits at more than their cost but an expansion at less than its cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Retirement Research in its series Issues in Brief with number ib2014-10.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hovey House, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Phone: (617) 552-1762
Fax: (617) 552-0191
Web page: http://crr.bc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
- I13 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Insurance, Public and Private
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2014-07-05 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2014-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2014-07-05 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2014-07-05 (Insurance Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mariacristina De Nardi & Eric French & John Bailey Jones, 2012.
"Medicaid Insurance in Old Age,"
wp278, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Mariacristina De Nardi & Eric French & John Bailey Jones, 2012. "Medicaid insurance in old age," Working Paper Series WP-2012-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Mariacristina De Nardi & Eric French & John Bailey Jones, 2013. "Medicaid Insurance in Old Age," NBER Working Papers 19151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Grzybowski) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.