Preschool Nutrition and Subsequent Schooling Attainment: Longitudinal Evidence from Tanzania
AbstractThis study analyses how childhood health determines future academic performance in Kagera region in Tanzania. Academic outcomes considered are years of education and delay in enrollment, while the measure of childhood health is (relative to the median) height. The repercussions of malnutrition in childhood on subsequent learning and school performance are analyzed by using a unique longitudinal dataset. Results indicate the degree to which malnutrition leads to reduced lifetime earning capacity due to both delays in schooling and declines in total schooling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy) in its series CeRP Working Papers with number 75.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Harold Alderman & Hans Hoogeveen & Mariacristina Rossi, 2009. "Preschool Nutrition and Subsequent Schooling Attainment: Longitudinal Evidence from Tanzania," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(2), pages 239-260, 01.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rentschler, Jun E., 2013. "Why resilience matters - the poverty impacts of disasters," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6699, The World Bank.
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008.
"Heights and Human Welfare: Recent Developments and New Directions,"
NBER Working Papers
14536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steckel, Richard H., 2009. "Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Tobias Lechtenfeld & Steffen Lohmann, 2014. "The Effect of Drought on Health Outcomes and Health Expenditures in Rural Vietnam," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 156, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Krause, Brooke Laura, 2013. "Childhood Malnutrition and Educational Attainment: An Analysis using Oxford's Young Lives Longitudinal Study in Peru," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150598, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Harold Alderman, 2011. "No Small Matter : The Impact of Poverty, Shocks, and Human Capital Investments in Early Childhood Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2266, October.
- Jens Hagen & Toman Omar Mahmoud & Natalia Trofimenko, 2010. "Orphanhood and Critical Periods in Children’s Human Capital Formation: Long-Run Evidence from North-Western Tanzania," Kiel Working Papers 1649, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Baez, Javier E., 2008.
"Civil Wars beyond their Borders: The Human Capital and Health Consequences of Hosting Refugees,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3468, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Baez, Javier E., 2011. "Civil wars beyond their borders: The human capital and health consequences of hosting refugees," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 391-408, November.
- Adelman, Sarah, 2013. "Keep your friends close: The effect of local social networks on child human capital outcomes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 284-298.
- Krause, Brooke Laura, 2012. "Childhood Malnutrition and Educational Attainment: An Analysis using Oxford’s Young Lives Longitudinal Study in Peru," Master's Theses 146072, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Bustelo, Monserrat & Arends-Kuenning, Mary P. & Lucchetti, Leonardo, 2012. "Persistent Impact of Natural Disasters on Child Nutrition and Schooling: Evidence from the 1999 Colombian Earthquake," IZA Discussion Papers 6354, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kazianga, Harounan & de Walque, Damien & Alderman, Harold, 2014. "School feeding programs, intrahousehold allocation and the nutrition of siblings: Evidence from a randomized trial in rural Burkina Faso," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 15-34.
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Schady, Norbert, 2008. "Aggregate economic shocks, child schooling and child health," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4701, The World Bank.
- Kazianga, Harounan & de Walque, Damien & Alderman, Harold, 2009.
"Educational and health impacts of two school feeding schemes : evidence from a randomized trial in rural Burkina Faso,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4976, The World Bank.
- Harounan Kazianga & Damien de Walque & Harold Alderman, 2009. "Educational and Health Impacts of Two School Feeding Schemes: Evidence from a Randomized Trial in Rural Burkina Faso," Economics Working Paper Series 0904, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Tom Bundervoet, 2012. "War, Health, and Educational Attainment: A Panel of Children during Burundi’s Civil War," HiCN Working Papers 114, Households in Conflict Network.
- Barde, Julia Alexa & Walkiewicz, Juliana, 2013. "The Impact of Access to Piped Drinking Water on Human Capital Formation - Evidence from Brasilian Primary Schools," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79808, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Thuan Q. Thai & Evangelos M. Falaris, 2011. "Child schooling, child health and rainfall shocks: evidence from rural Vietnam," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2011-011, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Thuan Quang Thai & Evangelos M. Falaris, 2010. "The Effect of Child Health on Schooling: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," Working Papers 10-04, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Hagen, Jens & Omar Mahmoud, Toman & Trofimenko, Natalia, 2010. "Orphanhood and Critical Periods in Children's Human Capital Formation: Long-Run Evidence from North-Western Tanzania," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 33, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- N. Koseleci & F. C. Rosati, 2009. "Child labour and the global financial crisis: an issue paper," UCW Working Paper 47, Understanding Children's Work (UCW Programme).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Maero) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Silvia Maero to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.