An exact pricing formula for European call options on zero-coupon bonds in the run-up to a currency union
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the dynamics of zero-coupon bond options in a situation in which two open economies plan to enter a currency union in the future. More precisely, we make use of recent theoretical work on the continuous-time dynamics of interest-rate differentials between the economies involved and derive a closed-form pricing formula for a European call option on zero-coupon bonds. In a Monte-Carlo simulation study we show that significant option-pricing errors can occur when the key features of interest-rate dynamics during the run-up to the currency union are ignored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster in its series CQE Working Papers with number 1010.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Am Stadtgraben 9, 48143 Münster, Germany
Web page: http://www1.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/cqe/
More information through EDIRC
Interest-rate dynamics; valuation of interest-rate options; currency union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2010-02-13 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-MON-2010-02-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans & Veestraeten, Dirk, 1999. "Price dynamics under stochastic process switching: some extensions and an application to EMU1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 195-224, February.
- David Sondermann & Mark Trede & Bernd Wilfling, 2011. "Estimating the degree of interventionist policies in the run-up to EMU," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 207-218.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Susanne Deckwitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.