Unemployment Persistence and the Unemployment-Productivity Relation
AbstractThis paper explores the interrelation between the degree of unemployment persistence and the unemployment-productivity trade-off. The analysis suggests that the more effective are structural labour market policies (designed to change labour market institutions and laws, such as job security legislation) in making wages and prices more responsive to current unemployment and making unemployment less persistent, the less effective will be the growth-promoting supply-side policies (such as training schemes) in reducing unemployment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 958.
Date of creation: Jul 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- O50 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- García, José Ramón & Sala, Hector, 2008.
"The tax system incidence on unemployment: A country-specific analysis for the OECD economies,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1232-1245, November.
- García, José Ramón & Sala, Hector, 2006. "The Tax System Incidence on Unemployment: A Country-Specific Analysis for the OECD Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2226, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.