Job Creation and Job Destruction in Britain: 1980-90
AbstractThis paper characterizes the processes of job creation and job destruction (JC&D) in Britain, and provides more `stylized facts' to hold up against models of JC&D. The analysis is based on three large cross-sections of continuing plants in Britain. The issues examined include the diversity of employment growth rates and the correspondingly substantial JC&D rates. We show that both job creation and destruction are extremely concentrated. The top decile of job creators seem to be made up of large firms growing moderately and medium-sized firms growing rapidly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 912.
Date of creation: Feb 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephen Roper, 2004. "Job Creation and Destruction in Northern Ireland - 1973-1993," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(2), pages 183â218.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Facundo Piguillem, 2003. "Innovaciones en productividad y dinámica de plantas," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 18(2), pages 3-32, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.