Exploitability as a Specification Test of the Phillips Curve
AbstractNominal price and wage rigidity renders monetary policy effective over output. However, this effectiveness extends, under widely used overlapping-wage and Calvo-contract Phillips Curves, to planned monetary policy (‘exploitability’) and not merely to policy surprises. We argue that within both frameworks, when agents write optimal nominal contracts, they will not be exploitable by planned monetary policy. We therefore suggest non-exploitability as a specification test for Phillips Curves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3612.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bakhshi, Hasan & Khan, Hashmat & Burriel-Llombart, Pablo & Rudolf, Barbara, 2007. "The New Keynesian Phillips curve under trend inflation and strategic complementarity," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 37-59, March.
- Hasan Bakhshi & Pablo Burriel-Llombart, 2003.
"Endogenous Price Stickiness, Trend Inflation, and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
12, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hasan Bakhshi & Pablo Burriel-Llombart & Hashmat Khan & Barbara Rudolf, 2003. "Endogenous price stickiness, trend inflation, and the New Keynesian Phillips curve," Bank of England working papers 191, Bank of England.
- Le, Vo Phuong Mai & Minford, Patrick, 2007.
"Optimising Indexation Arrangements under Calvo Contracts and their Implications for Monetary Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Le, Vo Phuong Mai & Minford, Patrick, 2007. "Optimising indexation arrangements under Calvo contracts and their implications for monetary policy," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2007/7, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Minford, Patrick & Peel, David, 2004. "Calvo Contracts: A Critique," CEPR Discussion Papers 4288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.