The Terms of Trade, Labour Supply and the Current Account
AbstractThis paper extends Svensson and Razin's two period analysis of the Laursen-Harberger-Metzler effect to the important case where labour supply and output are variable. A terms of trade shift alters the relationship between the product and the consumption wage and so induces a change in output. This extension substantially enriches their analysis. A temporary current terms of trade deterioration has an ambiguous effect on the current account, but their finding that a future deterioration leads to an improvement in the current account is strengthened. The effect of a permanent terms of trade shift in a stationary state depends not only on the rate of time preference, but also on the strength of intertemporal substitution effects. In the canonical case of a constant rate of time preference the current account deteriorates in response to a permanent terms of trade deterioration if the degree of intertemporal substitution in consumption exceeds that in leisure, or equivalently whether the wealth effect on consumption exceeds that on labour supply. The model is then extended to an infinite horizon by embedding it in an overlapping generations framework. Intergenerational linkages through the labour market are now the source of some complex dynamics. From an initial position of balance on current account an anticipated temporary terms of trade deterioration leads to a period of steadily increasing surplus a deficit on impact, and a further period of declining surpluses. A permanent deterioration in the terms of trade leads to a similar period of anticipatory surpluses, followed by a period of declining deficits after impact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 22.
Date of creation: Jun 1984
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Bean, Charles R, 1986. "The Terms of Trade, Labour Supply and the Current Account," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(380a), pages 38-46, Supplemen.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Schubert, Stefan F. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2008. "Dynamic effects of terms of trade shocks: The impact on debt and growth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 876-896, October.
- Tarlok Singh, 2007. "Intertemporal Optimizing Models Of Trade And Current Account Balance: A Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 25-64, 02.
- Nason, James M. & Rogers, John H., 2006.
"The present-value model of the current account has been rejected: Round up the usual suspects,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 159-187, January.
- James M. Nason and John H. Rogers, 2001. "The Present Value Model of the Current Account Has Been Rejected: Round Up the Usual Subjects," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 102, Society for Computational Economics.
- James M. Nason & John H. Rogers, 2003. "The present-value model of the current account has been rejected: Round up the usual suspects," Working Paper 2003-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- James M. Nason & John H. Rogers, 2003. "The present-value model of the current account has been rejected: round up the usual suspects," International Finance Discussion Papers 760, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1993.
"The impact of terms of trade shocks on a small open economy: A stochastic analysis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 278-297, June.
- Turnovsky, S.J., 1991. "The Impact of terms of Trade Shocks on a Small Open Economy: A Stochastic Analysis," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 91-19, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1991. "The Impact of Terms of Trade Shocks on a Small Open Economy: A Stochastic Analysis," NBER Working Papers 3916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, S.J., 1991. "The Impact of terms of Trade Shocks on a Small Open Economy: A Stochastic Analysis," Working Papers 91-19, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- María Dolores Guilló, 1995. "Terms-Of-Trade And The Current Account: A Two-Country/Two-Sector Growth Model," Working Papers. Serie AD 1995-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Huang, Kevin X.D. & Meng, Qinglai, 2007. "The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect under capital market imperfections," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1001-1015, October.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz, 2009. "Dynamic Effects of Oil Price Shocks and their Impact on the Current Account," MPRA Paper 16738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.