When International Policy Coordination Matters: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThe interdependence of national economies implies externalities in policy making, and these externalities lead to inefficient outcomes when policy-making is decentralised and independent. These externalities have been well documented from a theoretical point of view. This paper reports our attempts to discover if and when policy coordination matters. We use the Liverpool World Model, which exhibits strong spillover effects for monetary policy and would therefore, we thought, yield very different results from those of earlier researchers. However, strong spillover effects do not guarantee that cooperative and non cooperative policies will yield very different outcomes: other aspects of the policy game's structure can be equally important. Indeed, we found many plausible situations in which the non-cooperative and cooperative solutions are effectively indistinguishable, given realistic assumptions concerning the precision with which central banks seem to be able to control their money supplies. We also discovered situations in which coordination does make a significant difference, however.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 119.
Date of creation: Jul 1986
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matti Viren, 2011. "Fiscal policy coordination in the EMU: A problem with asymmetry and aggregation," Discussion Papers 70, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 1987.
"Obstacles to International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt2vv7z9cr, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel., 1987. "Obstacles to International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination," Economics Working Papers 8737, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1988. "Obstacles to International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination," NBER Working Papers 2505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scheide, Joachim & Sinn, Stefan, 1987. "How strong is the case for international coordination?," Kiel Working Papers 306, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Leonor Coutinho, 2003. "Fiscal Policy in the New Open Economy. Macroeconomics and Prospects for Fiscal Policy Coordination," Economics Working Papers 021, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Peter Mooslechner & Martin Schuerz, 1999. "International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination: Any Lessons for EMU? A Selective Survey of the Literature," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 171-199, September.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Cumby, Robert E. & Diba, Behzad T., 2005.
"The need for international policy coordination: what's old, what's new, what's yet to come?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 363-384, July.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 2002. "The Need for International Policy Coordination: What's Old, What's New, What's Yet to Come?," NBER Working Papers 8765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nyahoho, Emmanuel, 1995. "La concurrence de monnaies dans un marché financier dématérialisé," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 71(3), pages 334-364, septembre.
- Matti Virén, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Automatic Stabilisers and Policy Coordination in EMU," Discussion Papers 204, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Andrew Brigden & Charles Nolan, 1999.
"Monetary stabilisation policy in a monetary union: some simple analytics,"
Bank of England working papers
102, Bank of England.
- Nolan, Charles, 2002. "Monetary Stabilisation Policy in a Monetary Union: Some Simple Analytics," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(2), pages 196-215, May.
- Kox, Henk L. M. & Van der Tak, Casper M., 1996. "Non-transboundary pollution and the efficiency of international environmental co-operation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 247-259, December.
- VirÉn, Matti, 2000. "Fiscal Policy, Automatic Stabilisers and Policy Coordination in EMU," Discussion Papers 744, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Leonor Coutinho, 2008. "Fiscal Policy and Macroeconomic Stabilizations: What are the Gains from Cooperation?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 81-120, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.