Trade Performance and Trade Policy in Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThe radical liberalization of foreign trade in Central and Eastern Europe since 1989 has been a key part of the economic reform and has been accompanied by a full-scale geographical reorientation of international trade from East to West. Increased trade with the EU has been associated with remarkably little change in the structure of that trade, which suggests that policy should be oriented towards facilitating rather than slowing industrial adjustment. Future trade policy priorities should include continued liberalization, better coordination of trade and exchange rate policy, the attraction of foreign direct investment, resistance to pressures for selective protection, further development of trade relations with the EU and of intra-regional trade relations, and full participation in the WTO.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1182.
Date of creation: May 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ralf Ruhwedel & Michael Funke, 2004.
"Trade, Product Variety and Welfare: A Quantitative Assessment for the Transition Economies in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20401, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2004. "Trade, product variety and welfare: A quantitative assessment for the transition economies in Central and Eastern Europe," Macroeconomics 0401016, EconWPA.
- Funke, Michael & Ruhwedel, Ralf, 2003. "Trade, product variety and welfare: A quantitative assessment for the transition economies in Central and Eastern Europe," BOFIT Discussion Papers 17/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1996. "Intra-industry trade, foreign direct investment, and the reorientation of Eastern European exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1652, The World Bank.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kohl, Richard, 1998.
"The External Sector, the State and Development in Eastern Europe,"
UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series
qt22r0x8qk, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kohl, Richard, 1998. "The External Sector, the State and Development in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1904, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Françoise Lemoine, 1996. "Trade Policy and Trade Patterns During Transition: a Comparison Between China and the CEECs," Working Papers 1996-02, CEPII research center.
- Yener Kandogan, 2004. "How Much Restructuring did the Transition Countries Experience? Evidence from Quality of their Exports," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-637, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Lemoine, FranÃ§oise, 1998. "Integrating Central and Eastern Europe In the European Trade and Production Network," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt5r66s4ng, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Guerrieri, Paolo, 1998. "Trade Patterns, FDI, and Industrial Restructuring of Central and Eastern Europe," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt3bs313rc, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Melanie Lansbury & Nigel Pain & Katerina Smidkova, 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central Europe Since 1990: An Econometric Study,"
National Institute Economic Review,
National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 156(1), pages 104-114, May.
- Melanie Lansbury & Nigel Pain & Katerina Smidkova, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central Europe Since 1990: An Econometric Study," Macroeconomics 0404002, EconWPA.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "The Reorientation of Transition Countries’ Exports: Changes in Quantity, Quality and Variety," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-631, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.