The Reorientation of Transition Countries’ Exports: Changes in Quantity, Quality and Variety
AbstractThe paper analyzes the factors behind the reorientation of transition countries’ exports to their non-traditional partners outside their former block. First, the amount of reorientation is calculated using a gravity model. Then, reasons for the cross-country differences in the rate of closing the gap between the actual and potential exports, such as increases in quantity, quality, and variety, are analyzed using a variety of measures from the literature. The results show that although exports have increased significantly, as of 1999 they are still far below the potential in CIS and to a lesser extent in CEEC. Change in quantity has been the primary reason behind the reorientation of CIS exports. However, it had smaller effect on CEEC reorientation, where increase in product variety has been important. Although some quality improvement is observed in both CEEC and CIS, it had small effect on the extent of reorientation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan in its series William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series with number 2003-631.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763 5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Eastern Europe; Commonwealth of Independent States; Intra-industry Trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- P33 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - International Trade, Finance, Investment, Relations, and Aid
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1963. "Price and Quantity Trends in the Foreign Trade of the United States," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lips63-1.
- Robert C. Feenstra & James R. Markusen, 1992.
"Accounting for Growth With New Inputs,"
NBER Working Papers
4114, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2000.
"Product Variety and Economic Growth - Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
250, CESifo Group Munich.
- By Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2001. "Product Variety and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(2), pages 1.
- Ralf Ruhwedel & Michael Funke, 2001. "Product Variety and Economic Growth Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20104, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 1999. "Product Variety and Economic Growth-Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9906, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Y. Kandogan, 2003. "Reconsidering the adjustment costs of the Europe agreements," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 63-68.
- Grossman, Gene M & Helpman, Elhanan, 1991.
"Quality Ladders and Product Cycles,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 557-86, May.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 39-89, Tel Aviv.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989. "Quality Ladders and Product Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Landesmann,Michael A. & Székely,István P. (ed.), 1995. "Industrial Restructuring and Trade Reorientation in Eastern Europe," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521480857, October.
- Nathan Sheets & Simona Boata, 1998. "Eastern European Export Performance During The Transition," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(2), pages 211-226, 04.
- Drábek, Zdenek & Smith, Alasdair, 1995. "Trade Performance and Trade Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brenton, Paul & Gros, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Reorientation and Recovery in Transition Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 65-76, Summer.
- Muscatelli, Vito Antonio & Stevenson, Andrew A & Montagna, Catia, 1995. "Modeling Aggregate Manufactured Exports for Some Asian Newly Industrialized Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 147-55, February.
- Oleg Bogomolov, 1987. "The Socialist Countries at a Critical Stage in World Economic Development," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(8), pages 38-54, December.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1996. "Intra-Industry Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and the Reorientation of East European Exports," CEPR Discussion Papers 1377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Treml, Vladimir G., 1981. "The inferior quality of Soviet machinery as reflected in export prices," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 200-221, June.
- Gary Hufbauer, 1970. "The Impact of National Characteristics & Technology on the Commodity Composition of Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Chapters, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 143-232 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2002. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Trade," NBER Working Papers 8712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Donald R., 1995. "Intra-industry trade: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Ricardo approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 201-226, November.
- Gerhard Prosi, 1998. "Economic cooperation between members of the European union and the new democratic countries in Europe," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 111-118.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- Michael Knogler & Volkhart Vincentz, 2005. "Auswirkungen der EU-Osterweiterung auf die Arbeitsmärkte der neuen Mitgliedstaaten und der EU-15, insbesondere Deutschland," Working Papers 257, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.