The Fan Chart: The Technical Details Of The New Implementation
AbstractAbstract. Our current implementation of the Fan Chart follows the originalBritton Fisher and Whitley  and Blix and Sellin  proposal in which theinputs enter at the fourth and ninth quarters and are distributed within theforecasting horizon according to pre established weights. This procedure doesnot allow enough °exibility to control the shape of the distribution at theshorter end of the horizon when more reliable information is available. Onthe other hand, no published material presents the details of the Fan Chartcomputation. In this note all the technical details of the new implementationare described. This implementation provides more °exibility than the previousone since it permits the inputs to be entered on a quarterly basis instead ofon a yearly basis. A Visual Basic for Excel program is available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 004294.
Date of creation: 19 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Fan Chart; Forecasting Distribution; Balance of Risks.;
Other versions of this item:
- Juan Manuel Julio Román, . "The Fan Chart: The Technical Details Of The New Implementation," Borradores de Economia 468, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E59 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Fan chart (time series) in Wikipedia English ne '')
- Split normal distribution in Wikipedia English ne '')
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.